Per public health guidelines, access to Town buildings is closed. However, staff is still available - many of them remotely - to provide necessary services. Here's how to work with us online.
Building Counter and Permitting
- Over-the-counter permits are still available through the Town’s permitting website
- Electronic submittals through TRAKIT are required for all residential and commercial projects. All submitted documents must be in PDF format.
- The Town Building Division will not be scheduling any face-to-face meetings. However, we do have the ability to host remote meetings. If interested, please contact 720-733-3527.
- There will be no interruption in the issuance of Certificates of Occupancy during this temporary closure.
- Until further notice, inspection services will continue for new residential, commercial and multi-family construction.
- Building Inspections related to occupied residential dwelling units, that require the inspector to go inside, will be suspended until further notice. Or, you may choose to have these types of inspections performed by Remote Video Inspection.
- The Town has adopted rules in Castle Rock Municipal Code Chapter 15.04 providing the ability for the Town's inspectors to conduct remove video inspections of properties for the duration of the local disaster emergency declaration in the Town of Castle Rock that went into effect on March 17, 2020.
- Guidelines for remote video inspection have been drafted and include: Chief Building Official Rule Regarding Remote Video Inspections, Remote Video Inspection Waiver, Remote Video Inspection Guidelines. These documents will be provided to all individuals who request an inspection and fall under the guidelines for a remote video inspection.
- Please also note: For final electrical inspections a plug tester will be required
- Residential inspections for projects on the exterior of occupied dwelling units, such as decks, roofs and photovoltaic inspections (excluding attic) will continue.
- This suspension does not allow work that requires inspections to be covered or concealed until such time that it can be inspected and approved.
Building permit benefits
The law requires you to get a building permit. Some of the benefits of a building permit include:
- Permits provide third-party verification the work completed meets Town of Castle Rock adopted codes. By following code guidelines, your completed project will meet minimum standards of safety and will be less likely to cause injury to you, your family, your friends or future owners.
- Reviewed and permitted building plans provide the homeowner access to our experienced building staff for construction-related questions in all fields including plumbing, mechanical, electrical, framing and finish.
Building permit applications
Building permit applications are now submitted and approved online through our eTrakiT system. The eTRAKiT system is an online tool that provides tremendous benefit for users.
Contractors and homeowners are able to:
- Apply for permits
- Submit plans
- View and respond to plan review comments
- Pay for permits
- Schedule and see inspection results all electronically
Access is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Visit eTrakit and create a log-in to get started.