Tri the Rock
It’s waiting for you ... all you have to do is try!
Come for a day of fun, food, prizes and sports. This annual youth triathlon is for young athletes ages five to 18. From kids who have never even heard of a triathlon to seasoned competitive triathletes, Tri the Rock encourages kids to get out and give it a try.
Rescheduled 2020 date
Sunday, Sept. 13
COVID-19 update: We appreciate your patience and understanding during these unprecedented times. Staff will take all necessary precautions to ensure a safe and fun event. All current health guidelines will be closely followed. The bike rack area will open at 6 a.m. for all racers in the 7-18 age groups. This transition area will be closed at 7:15 a.m. to prepare for the first race.
Free Informational Clinic
First time competing at Tri the Rock? Join us for a one-hour clinic on Sunday, Sept. 6 at Butterfield Crossing Park.
- 2 or 3 p.m. for ages 7-18
- 4 p.m. for ages 5-6
Learn all the ins and outs of this triathlon. Registration is required and space is limited.
Can’t make the clinic? Please load the review the clinic information (PDF).
Registration and packet pick up
Registration is open. The first 100 registered will receive a commemorative Tri the Rock beanie at packet pick up. Packet pick up will be from noon to 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 12, at the Miller Activity Complex.
New! Get race results in real time
Due to COVID-19 social distancing requirement, results will not be posted at the race. However, you can access race results online or by downloading the HAL Sports app, which is available for both iOS and Android devices.
- Safety for athletes, staff and volunteers will continue to be our top priority. Social distancing measures will be in effect. Masks will be worn by our staff and we will require masks to be worn at check-in and when athletes are around others, while not competing.
- We all enjoy the spirit of spectators but we ask that only two family members accompany each athlete.
- Bike transition area (PDF) for ages 7 & up has been relocated to the larger parking lot northwest of the original transition zone to help with social distancing.
- Staff will not be assisting swimmers in the pool. If parents anticipate their child may need assistance, parents are encouraged to be in the pool with their child (these will be the only parents allowed in the pool area). If a child has an unexpected challenge in the pool, our staff will jump in and remove the child, resulting in a "did not finish" for the swim portion. The child may then continue to the transition area to complete the other disciplines of the race.
15-18 years old
New age group this year!
- 7:30 a.m. start time
- 100-meter swim (four pool lengths, down and back twice)
- 16-kilometer bike ride
- 3-mile run
5-6 years old
- 25-meter swim (one pool length)
- 1-kilometer bike ride (one lap around Butterfield Park) - course map (PDF)
- 500-meter run - course map (PDF)
- The 5- and 6-year-old age group will begin once all of the other age groups are complete (times are estimated)
- Please be at the race site for check in by 10 a.m.
- The bike racks open at approximately 10 a.m. for all 5- and 6-year-old racers
- These time are estimates and start times may be later based on the finish of the earlier racers