Mayor's Conservation Challenge
Pledge to be more water conscious
April 1 through 30, 2019
Castle Rock residents have proven their commitment to water conservation. Now, it’s time to show the nation how much we rock! Mayor Jason Gray invites all residents of Castle Rock to take water conservation to the next level by taking a quick, online pledge to conserve more!
Castle Rock’s involvement in the national Mayor’s Challenge began in 2016 with outstanding results. Castle Rock’s city ranking, based on the number of pledges, has made it to the top ten three years in a row! This year, Mayor Gray wants to get to first place. Plus, he's challenging Greeley (who is in our population category) to see who is the most water conscious community!
Throughout the month of April, join us in taking a free online, pledge to conserve. With every pledge we increase our national ranking showing how water-wise we are. Help us get to first place in our division, and you could win incredible prizes sponsored by the Wyland Foundation!
Castle Rock's national ranking: 10th
Just a couple of things your pledge encompasses:
- Fixing a leak is the best way to prevent water waste! An American home can waste, on average, more than 10,000 gallons of water per year due to running toilets, dripping faucets and other household leaks. That adds up to 1 trillion gallons per year — the equivalent of annual water use of Los Angeles, Chicago and Miami combined! Pledge to fix those leaks.
- Slowing the flow is an easy way to conserve. Installing high efficiency shower heads can save 754 gallons of water per year, along with installing faucet aerators and low-flow toilets. Want a starter kit? Stop by Castle Rock Water (limited supplies available). Pledge to slow the flow.
- SmartScape your yard. Approximately 50 percent of water used by Castle Rock residents goes to outdoor watering. Use native plants, reduce turf and incorporate hardscape designs. Simply changing your landscape can save time and money. Imagine not having to spend the weekends mowing. Learn how at our free Water Wiser classes. Pledge to Smartscape.
- Water the right way. Sticking to early morning or evening watering times minimizes an estimated 20-50 percent evaporation due to heat, wind and solar radiation. Rotary sprinklers and drip lines are better at getting the water to plants. Pledge to water the right way.
- Don’t place trash in the toilet. Less flushing means less water usage and less waste for the water reclamation plant to process. Place tissues in the trashcan, not the toilet. Take pharmaceuticals to designated drop off locations. Give ‘Bubbles’ the pet goldfish, a proper burial in the backyard. Pledge to dispose of waste properly.
- Refill your water bottle. Not only will you eliminate an estimated 167 plastic water bottles (per person) in the landfill, but reduce waste in your wallet. If you drank the recommended eight glasses of water a day, with U.S. tap rates at about $.49 per year; that same amount of bottled water is about $1,400. Plus, Castle Rock Water won best tasting water in the region in 2015 and second in 2016! Pledge to refill the water bottle!