Caliber at Terrain
The Garrett Companies, on behalf of Poplar Investments Inc., submitted an application for a Site Development Plan for an apartment complex on the northeast corner of Founders Parkway and State Highway 86. The location was zoned for up to 400 multifamily units in 1981.
Site Development Plan
The original plan proposed 21 two-story apartment buildings containing 226 residential units, and 416 parking spaces which were to be provided via 204 attached garage spaces and 212 surface parking spaces. A clubhouse / leasing office, a pool, and a dog park were also a part of the proposal.
A revised plan proposed 17 three-story apartment buildings containing 238 residential units, and 446 parking spaces which were to be provided via 170 attached garage spaces and 276 surface parking spaces. A clubhouse / leasing office, a pool, and a dog park were also part of the proposal.
The final plan proposes 17 three-story apartment buildings containing 238 residential units, and 505 parking spaces which are to be provided via 169 attached garage spaces and 336 surface parking spaces. A clubhouse / leasing office, a pool, and a dog park are also being proposed.
The Town requires developers to obtain feedback on concepts from neighbors before submitting a formal application and site plan. Once a formal application is submitted, the Town initiates a thorough review process that includes extensive traffic and drainage studies, as well as site layout and buffering to adjacent properties. Opportunities for additional public input are also part of the review process. The plan will require public hearings before the Planning Commission for review and recommendation and Town Council for review and final decision.
Zoning / development constraints
The current zoning for the site was approved on August 4, 1981, and is referred to as The Villages at Castle Rock Planned Development Plan. The zoning regulations associated with the Planned Development Plan contemplated build out of the entire development within 25 years, but did not provide any restrictions or remedies for any remaining parcels, that have yet to be completed by that time frame. The majority of The Villages at Castle Rock Planned Development has been rezoned over the years so the 25-year completion statement has not been applicable. Town Council will need to discuss and provide a decision on the applicability of the 25-year completion statement once the application is presented to Council.
- July 12, 2019 – Developer submitted formal application to the Town
- Aug. 7, 2019 – Town provided applicant with first review comments on the proposal
- Sept. 25, 2019 – Developer held second neighborhood meeting to share revised proposal
- Nov. 20, 2019 – Developer submitted revised proposal
- Dec. 18, 2019 - Town provided applicant with second review comments on the revised proposal
- Jan. 28, 2020 - Developer submitted revised proposal
- Feb. 21, 2020 - Town provided applicant with third review comments
- March 16, 2020 - Developer submitted revised proposal
- March 31, 2020 - Town provided applicant with fourth review comments
- April 7, 2020 - Developer submitted revised proposal
- April 14, 2020 - Town provided applicant with fifth review comments
- April 15, 2020 - Developer submitted revised proposal
- April 17, 2020 - Town has no further comments on technical aspects of proposal
- May 7, 2020 - Developer held third neighborhood meeting to share final Site Development Plan proposal
- May 14, 2020 - Planning Commission reviewed the proposal and voted 4-0 to recommend approval of the Site Development Plan upon the finding that existing zoning is still valid
- June 2, 2020 - Town Council reviewed the proposal and voted 4-3 to approve the Site Development Plan
For more information about this approved development, contact us by email or at 720-733-3566.